A recent study found that those who ate two breakfasts (one at home and one later in the morning) didn't gain more weight that those who ate just one. And the participants were less likely to be overweight than those who skipped the meal entirely.
Most adults don't need two full breakfasts (unlike Hobbits) but if you exercise in the morning or eat late lunches, a hearty mid-morning snack with produce and protein is a good idea. What does that look like? Your breakfast could be a slice of whole wheat toast, eggs scrambled with spinach, sliced tomatoes on the side. Then mid-morning you could have a banana and handful of walnuts.
More mid-morning snack ideas:
- clementines and a latte
- smoked salmon on cucumbers
- plain Greek yogurt and blueberries
- whole wheat English muffin and peanut butter
- apple slices and cheddar cheese
- lowfat cottage cheese on whole wheat crackers topped with salsa
- pear slices sprinkled with cinnamon and a handful of almonds
Front-load your calories for the day and enjoy a lighter lunch and dinner.
Stay Active, Keep Moving and
Enjoy Your Food